8.02.2009

First Post!

Daegu English Village (hereafter DGEV) is about a 30 minute drive outside of Daegu, in a little valley surrounded by trees. It seemed completely dead when I arrived, around 10:00 PM on Friday. Not having slept for 30 hours, finally being able to hit my bed was a wonderful prospect, but Saewon, who had picked me up, insisted on showing me lots of stuff and taking me around first.
On Saturday, I woke up early and immediately rearranged my room and unpacked my stuff. This is a shot of my dorm room:

At lunch, I met several fellow teachers. I decided to take the shuttle into Daegu with a coworker named Naomi. The ride all the way into town took about an hour and ended at Dong-A department store. It was several floors of clothes, housewares, shoes, accessories, and cosmetics - fun but expensive! On each floor there were many salespeople, more than you'd think would be necessary, who were ready to help. I relied on Naomi, who's been in country for about a month, to greet folks and ask questions while I just looked around. The basement of the store had a bustling food court and grocery store. I had a great time checking that place out. There were people offering samples of food on every aisle, which was tasty. I really loved the produce department; its standouts were huge stacks of bundled seaweed and more different types of mushrooms than I've ever seen!
After we had our fill of wandering around in Dong-A, we set out to look around the neighborhood a little more. This was at the heart of Daegu and it was Saturday, so the streets were packed, mostly with young people. We walked down narrow streets of cramped shops, and even found a Senegalese guy selling jewelry and drums. I think I really freaked him out when I started speaking Wolof to him! We had delicious Pho at a Vietnamese restaurant for dinner. The shuttle back to DGEV picked us up a little after 9. It was a different bus than the one we rode in on - it was decorated with scalloped panels of red brocade on the windows that had pom-poms and little gold tassels. There were green and gold lights running above the seats and a pink light running above the aisle. Deluxe!
This is an instruction page I found attached to my chair. It's a reeeeally dangerous chair, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. Please promise me you will be careful around that chair. I'm worried about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna dance on that chair with "Dancing Queen". Rose, your left so suddenly. I saw your FaceBook when I was on my trip to Virginia last week. Nate and I were like "What?!!!"

    Hope you're happy and doing well. :-) Miss you.

    ReplyDelete