2.21.2010

A post about eating

A few weeks ago a group of teachers went to a French restaurant to celebrate Cat's birthday. The food was great and the company was - well, for the most part great, and if not great, entertaining. Leave it at that.
The birthday girl, in her stylish Korean dress (meaning she purchased the dress here, not that the dress is somehow inherently Korean-looking):
I loved Jazmin's sweater. She told me that she stole it from her mom and then asked me to take photos of her looking so good in it.
Blurry Jaz and Naomi looking long-suffering...
Naomi ordered the pork and it came with an adorable pyre of rice:
The menu had a wide selection of tasty apps, salads, soups, entrees, and desserts, and I was looking forward to cobbling together the perfect meal. I was happy to learn that the entrees came with a soup and a dessert. But then I was informed that I did not, in fact, get to choose what soup and dessert I would receive! What's the point of having a variety of soups and desserts on the menu if you're going to force your customers to eat watery minestrone?!?! (I'm sorry that I'm over-punctuating here, but even weeks later, the my annoyance bubbles up when I remember how ridiculous it was.)
Anyway, eventually the waitstaff approached the table and let us know that if we wanted, we could substitute the cream of mushroom soup for the minestrone. I took it!
It was yummy. Crusty croutons, frothy cream, and rich, comforting mushroominess.
Jazmin ordered the soup I really wanted, the French onion. She was kind enough to share. It was bliss.
As an aside, I'll have you know I got through the entire meal without spilling on my silver sweater.
Then my steak came:
It was good, but there weren't enough mushrooms and it wasn't cooked to my order. (I ordered medium-rare; received rare. I know many feel that the cow could be walked to the table and carved directly onto the plate for a delicious steak, but I like it slightly less alive.)
This isn't all meant to be ultra-complainy; I was happy to be there celebrating my friend's birthday in a nice place. But sometimes I get annoyed when I spend so much and don't feel like I got my money's worth. Especially because most of the Korean restaurants I eat at are incredibly cheap and SO filling and delicious.
When I left, $50 poorer, I reflected that I would have rather had Gorilla Burger, which I did, a few nights later...
I didn't eat all of those sandwiches alone; I had help from Naomi and Serg. Best burgers in Daegu, and possibly in all of Korea!

1 comment:

  1. I swear, that silver sweater is magical. One time I spilled straight up red wine on it, and rushed over to the sink and it washed RIGHT OUT. Vanished before my very eyes!

    ReplyDelete